Upright Sostenuto

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:02:06 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Spalding" <spalding48@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:09 AM
Subject: Upright Sostenuto

> Listers:
> . . . . . . Other manufactureres of quality pianos make
> uprights with sostenutos, for example Kawai.  Does theirs work?  Is their
> design different from the M&H?   Sorry I don't have photos to post.  Got to
> start carrying the camera on tuning calls.
 > thanks,
  > Mike
> Michael Spalding

    Some old Steinway uprights have sostenutos where a taut gut string catches spoons or levers that protrude from the bottoms of the damper levers.  Yes it works.  Also Yamaha put a full sostenuto in their U7 (no longer made) and also the U3, I believe, and they work fine.  Have seen other systems in other old uprights but don't remember brand names.  Haven't seen the M&H system.   -- David Nereson, RPT