Searching for NYC tech

DIANE HOFSTETTER dianepianotuner@msn.com
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:20:26 -0800

Hi Sarah,

I've been staring at identical wippens for days now--they are made by
Renner.  The ones I have been playing with are installed in a Baldwin SD-10
concert grand.  Pretty easy to regulate because you can adjust the
repetition springs with a screw driver instead of having to reach in with a
tool like the Hart spring tool, disengage the repetition spring, bend it the
appropriate amount, replace it in the groove and repeat the whole process if
you didn't do it just the right amount.

  As my father used to say: "The Hofstetter law of wire bending: if the wire
needs to be bent a little to the right, you bend it a little to the right
and then it needs to be bent a little to the left."

These wippens make the job a lot easier, no bending, just easily
controllable turning of the screw.  Sorry, don't know the NYC tech.

Glad to see you back!

Diane

Diane Hofstetter

>From: "Sarah Fox" <sarah@gendernet.org>
>To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
>Subject: Searching for NYC tech
>Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:58:42 -0500
>
>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm trying to reconstruct the history of my 1933 Wissner concert grand.  It
>would have lived its entire life in New York City, and the owner before
>last was an opera coach for the Metropolitan Opera.  I *think* the piano
>probably belonged to the Met before that, but they are unable to confirm --
>no records.  I am hoping a tech might remember it or have it in his/her
>records somewhere.
>
>Does anybody know either of the New York City techs who would have made
>these markings?  (See photo...)
>
>http://www.wonderfulhome.info/wissner/wippen3.jpg
>
>It appears that N.N. replaced the wippens in 1971, and Stovi / Stori /
>Stoni would have probably done some general work (name signed in pencil in
>various locations throughout piano).
>
>Also, can anyone identify the manufacturer of this wippen for me?
>
>I'd appreciate any leads.  Thanks!
>
>Peace,
>Sarah

Great deals on high-speed Internet access as low as $26.95.