Loose Tuning Pins

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:10:15 -0000

Hello Andrew
You wrote:
"Most of the tuning pins tightened up adequately upon
driving.  The deep bass ones did not.  They would detune (turn) as they
were played.  I was thinking of doping them ..."
One problem with putting in a thicker pin is that the string tension will
have more leverage to pull the pin round. You could try inserting bridle
tape in the pin hole and replacing the old pin with a NEW one of the same
size. Old pins get gunged up on that rough surface and simply don't hold
well. You can also get alloy sleeves to bush the hole with - but I'm not
100% happy with them.
Regards
Michael G (UK)