Tooning according to Dr. Seuss...

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:22:18 -0800

If Dr. Seuss was a piano tech...

The Tooner

Twas the noon hour and time I must toon.  Mrs. Jones was waiting and =
wanting it soon.
Back and forth, up and down, where's the address, I keep driving 'round!
The time is ticking, the clock ticks it's toc, I must try to hurry =
around the next block!

At last I saw what I came to see, a mail box with numbers, one two and =
three.
As I knocked on the door catching my breath, a woof bow wow from the =
right, then the left!
I hope he is friendly, the fur I will see.  I do like to happy and =
bouncy puppy!

The door swang it's swing and there dressed in black, the dear Mrs. =
Jones who I had called back.
Her slippers were worn, her hair was a mess, but I hadn't the time to =
care how she dressed.
Where's the piano, the tinkler box?  She pointed behind her, the box =
with a vox.

Right away I could tell there was trouble.  Not just a bit but a double =
double trouble!
For there it was, right there at hand,  a piano called "Grand" but it =
actually stands!
A spinet in fact, not a thing one could brag.  It was old, it was dirty, =
it was everything sad.

I opened my case with the tools of my trade.  What I opened next just =
made me pray.
It was flat as flat can be as it sat, it had spills inside and fur from =
the cat.
There were stains on the keys and parts that were broke, and a smell =
that smelled like cigarette smoke.

As I looked at the works that failed to do so, I noticed a mouse that =
died long ago.  The felt was all eaten just wouldn't you know!
I took out my vacuum and vacuumed the mess, the droppings it left and =
the unwanted guest.
Finally at last the cleaning was done, time to move on to the next bit =
of fun.

With lever in hand and placed on a pin, I turned on my tooner so I could =
begin.
With a flick of the wrist the pitch then did twitch, upward and onward =
without a glitch.
But then what I heard from a string that was wound, a "pop" from inside, =
just a horrible sound!

All at once I knew what had happened, a string had unstrung, and a damp =
would not dampen!
I cursed the piano, this pile of rust!  This thing will not play, it's =
not worth the fuss.
Holding my tongue I moved on to the next, and the next and the next and =
the next and the next.

At last I was done but the job was not over.  I must fix the string, and =
parts broken moreover!
I undid the levers, the things that all move, I took them apart and then =
used my glue.
Over an hour I tinkered away, at least the parts would then partly play.

I closed up my case and wrote out a bill.  The piano was awful but =
junior was thrilled.
Not a minute to waste, I checked out her check.  All was in order and I =
hastened my step.
To my ride I then flew fast out the door.  This is just the beginning, I =
still have two more!

I started the motor and motored away, wishing that this was the end of =
my day.
I looked at my watch, I was late once again!  Where is my map, where is =
my pen!
I rushed down the road, I must try to leave sooner, but that's how it is =
in the life of a tooner.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV