teflon powder-dangerous?

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 03:14:46 -0500

Terry,

>From what I can read in this article, I wouldn't put the teflon in the
trash just yet. The article explains that the woman was involved in the
mixture of the chemicals used to make Teflon..I can tell you from past
experiences that the end product in a chemical process is usually(and I
said usually) no where near as harmful as the raw chemicals used to make
the end product. The one chemical they mention, C-8, is nasty stuff in
and of itself..but mixed with other chemicals it becomes much less
harmful because it has been broken down(usually by heating it) and
mixed.

The one raw chemical I was involved with in a past life, Phenol, will
drop you in your tracks with just one drop..but..mix Phenol with other
raw materials and the end product becomes the keyboard that you're
typing on and the housing that holds the CRT that you're presently
reading.

I wouldn't eat the stuff(Teflon), but I wouldn't worry about it either.

-Phil Bondi(FL)
phil@philbondi.com