Piano Empty Trees WAS Re: Help with Steinway Model..

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:07:41 -0500

At 5:15 PM +0100 11/16/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>  No biggie... it just would be fun to hear some of these older
>instruments we all come across, and compare them with some of the
>topics we discuss. Besides... I'd like to hear you play a few licks
>for us on your A anyways !
>
>Cheers

The last time we had an mp3 posted on the list, Stephen Airy was
trying to decide whether to just twist the existing bass strings on
his Ricca upright, or replacement them (or even yet, do a rescaling).
Yours would be a definite up-tick in musical quality.

There are people on this list who could point to shareware (or even
demo) software which could record direct to disk (digitizing an
analog signal from a medium quality stereo microphone). If not, you
might check with any classical chamber musicians for someone with a
Mini Disc (for rehearsal purposes) with a companion-quality
microphone. These are getting quite miniature, and are not especially
esoteric equipment. The analog output of that of course would have to
be digitized at the computers audio line input before conversion to
mp3. Ago, there are people in this list who can point you in the
direction of proper software. If you had a mac, I'd set you up.

Then again, we're talking 7' ceilings in a 10'x14' dining room,
right? Not to worry, good ears can hear past that to get to the
piano's intrinsic sound.

So given the way Ric phrased his request, what program are you going
to give him, the Jerry Lee Lewis? the Yanni? the Liberace?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"All God's Children got Rhythm"
     ...........Ivy Anderson in "A Day at the Races"