Thanks.#*!!##%*& isp. Was- tempermental temperament octave

Jim Morrison jimmor@telus.net
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:38:32 -0700

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions about the temperament
octave. I'm heading back to the piano to try some of the suggestions.
 I am switching my internet from dial up to adsl and last thursday
morning my internet service provider accidentally deleted my account.Was
going through pianotech withdrawls. Thankfully they got the account back
up this morning.

As a side note, we had a treat in Bonnyville over the weekend. Lee Pui
Ming performed at the Lyle Victor Albert Center saturday evening.I am
sure the Baldwin will never be the same. She was touted as an
avante-garde pianist. (big understatement)
She opened the performance by depressing the sustain pedal  and then
sang/shouted into the open cavity under the lid.There was quite a
remarkable resonance created by her voice.She then went on to play a
mixture of Asian and contemporary music some of which she composed
herself or improvised on traditional Chinese songs.During some of the
pieces she stood at the side of  the piano reaching in and playing it
like a harp or plucking the notes to play a melody.There were various
sticks? she used to run back and forth across the stings to create
different effects. At one point she played the piano like a huge drum,
beating on the soundboard with one hand and the rim with her other
hand.Before playing one of the last pieces she placed a bunch of kitchen
utencills on the strings. We're talking cakepan, tableknifes, tin box.
This led to a very distorted sound , sort of a Jimmy Hendrix effect. All
in all very different and very entertaining.

Bye for now,
Jim Morrison