Square Grand Scaling Question

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:31:39 +0100

Hello Richard.

Here is a table of diameters for iron strings in use at the end of the 18th century (referred to as Thomée's Nuremberg gauge system by Michael Latcham).

9/0   1.10 mm
8/0   1.06
7/0   0.97
6/0   0.87
5/0   0.83
4/0   0.76
3/0   0.66
2/0   0.60
1/0   0.56
1      0.51
2      0.46
3      0.41
4      0.37
5      0.32
6      0.28

But you must keep in mind that this was not absolute : on six pianos by Hofmann, at different times, the gauge number 7/0 for example was 1.02 mm in 1784, 1.15 in 1785,  1.05 in 1790, 1.02 in 1795, 0.99 in 1800.

Also, in those times, a bulk of so called 7/0 wire was not constant of diameter, nor perfectly cylindric.

Better rule for stringing such old instruments, methinks, is to play the game like they did : try which diameter sounds best at that place, without breaking too soon.

Regards

Stéphane Collin