Steinway A1 oddity?

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:28:43 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>Relating to this weeks thread on the S+S model A. I serviced an A 1 today
>C.1882. Regrettably I couldnt open the lid to examine any plate markings
>at the tail
>
>(8000 photos arranged on the lid) but the oddity was the unacorda shifted
>the action to the left. Ive seen this on some goofy stencil pianos but
>never on a Steinway. Something new every day I guess.
>
>             Tom Driscoll RPT

I have an 85 note A in my shop of roughly the same age that also has this
'feature'.  I don't see that there's any reason to prefer the action
shifting one way or the other.  I wonder why a right shifting action became
the standard?

Phil Ford

Phillip Ford
Piano Service and Restoration