bridge repairs

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:37:39 -0000

------=_NextPart_001_0013_01C3ADFA.A9AB2220
Hello list
This morning I went to tune a modern Chappell upright. When I got to the =
Bass covered string section it was h o r r i b l e.. No better =
description. I tipped the piano away from the wall to see if there was a =
foreign object vibrating on the soundboard. No. But the wall behind the =
piano was very warm..... Removed the kneeboard. Horrors! The entire Bass =
bridge had collapsed, totally broken-down glue joints between the Bass =
soundboard bridge-block and the off-set plank as well as the joint =
beween that plank and the actual Bass bridge. I then loosened off the =
Bass covereds and extracted both bridge and off-set and brought them to =
my workshop. I propose to glue and screw them together with an =
epoxy-resin glue (Araldite). Then take the whole shebang back to the =
piano and do the same gluing to the bridge-block. Is the list "pro" - or =
- "con" - or simply horrified?
En passant - I wonder what the joint between the soundboard and the bass =
block is like....thinks...
Needless to say the owner and I moved the piano to a different location =
- against a radiator. But she says that radiator is never turned =
on.......
Regards
Michael G (UK) Nearly tea-time in darkest Sussex-by-the-Sea
                       Keyboard tuner to Glyndebourne since 1980=20
                 =20
                        Michael Gamble
                        Piano/Harpsichord Tuner/Tech.  "Westwick"
                        29 Shepherds Way
                        Ringmer
                        Sussex BN8 5LT
                        UK =20