In-Home Vertical Damper Replacement

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:05:45 -0500

Thanks for the responses - a few comments questions belwo:

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Mark Wisner" <mwisner@earthlink.net>

> I'd remove the damper felts in the shop then glue on the new felt with =
the action installed using the damper springs as clamps.  A small =
squeeze bottle of aliphatic glue should keep things tidy.

Yup, felt off in shop, in in home using springs as clamps and strings =
for alignment.=20

I know I should know these technical terms, but I have all sorts of =
glues in my shop, but which one is aliphatic glue? Tightbond-type stuff? =

Would there be any disadvantage to using cold hide glue?

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Conrad Hoffsommer" <hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu>
>=20
> If the action is in your shop _NOW_,    why are you going to do the =
dampers=20
> in the home???

See above - I thought that was the only way to do it! Especially in this =
case because the dampers are currently regulated very nicely - if I glue =
in the piano, I shouldn't have to even touch the damper regulation.

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Ron Koval" <drwoodwind@hotmail.com>

> Hi Terry,
>=20
> I don't know about the best, but this might help you out.  First, did =
you=20
> already get the pr-cut dampers?  Wasn't that you asking about that a =
few=20
> weeks ago?

Yup, got 'em. Thanks Phil Bondi!

> First, leave the hot glue in the shop, where it belongs. =20

Yup, don't have to twist my arm for that one!

> Get some Weldbond=20
> white glue (I think it's PVA) in a small enough bottle to control, or =
some=20
> better method if you are sloppy.

Same question. Is that Tightbond type stuff? Is there something about =
"Weldbond" that  makes it better than Tightbond or cold hide glue? I =
keep asking about cold hide glue because this lady will never die (she's =
German and is a "gooood strrrong vooman"), her piano will still look =
like new 40 years from now, and, if I am still alive, I just know I will =
be replacing dampers again on this piano in 40 years!

> It doesn't take much to keep a felt on.=20
> (less is better) You will be using the strings to provide the clamping =
and=20
> alignment, so bend your wires before you begin, if needed.  Put a =
little=20
> glue on the felt, then use a good long hemostat to slide the damper =
felt=20
> down the string to the waiting damper block that you have pulled back =
from=20
> the string.  Align, release, go to the next. =20

Yes, that is how I have done it in the shop.

> Call for your shoulder/neck=20
> massage before you go on the call, it's not the most comfortable job.

Ahhh, excellent advice!