OT: Health warning!!

Ned Swift swiftspiano@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:44:25 -0500

Hi All

For you health conscious people and those that should be.  I thought that I
was in near perfect health.  I  don't smoke, my cholesterol is normal, I am
not over weight, I exercise 30 minutes daily, I eat a low fat/low carb diet
and I am only 52.  Certainly not a candidate for heart problems.  Yet, the
other morning as I was driving to work, I developed a pain in my chest and
left arm.

My initial thought was indigestion.  But, when the problem persisted after
15 minutes, I decided that maybe it was  something more serious so I turned
the car around and headed back home.  Once home, I called 911 and chewed an
aspirin.  Then, I got a very nice ambulance ride to the hospital.  ( The
hospital is a major one in the state and is known for its cardiac care
unit.)

The folks in emergency couldn't find anything wrong with me.  My EKG was
normal (no heart damage), the pain was gone and my blood tests were normal
for the most part.  The only thing that was remotely off was a blood hormone
called troponin.  For normal people, the troponin level is 0.  For heart
problems it is 2 or higher.  Mine was 0.2, just slightly elevated but
nothing alarming.

After 7 hours of observation with no other signs of a problem, they decided
to do a heart catheterization on me.  Once they shot the dye into my blood,
the problem was obvious.  95% blockage in a major artery supply blood to the
heart.  A quick angioplasty followed by the installation of a stint (metal
mesh that holds the artery open) and I am on my way back to my room.  Total
time was less than 1/2 hour.  BTW, they give you some wonder drugs to make
you relax during the procedure.  It was rather strange to be talking with
the staff as they are putting things in your heart arteries but that was the
way it was.

The next morning, they sent me home.  Total hospital time was about 24
hours.  Truly amazing.

I had no reason to believe that there was anything seriously wrong with me
prior to this event.  In fact, on Saturday before the event,  I spent all
afternoon building a stone wall in my back yard.  Most of the stones were
about the size of watermelons and weighted about 100 lbs.  I handled them
all by hand and did not have any problems doing it.  Yet, three day later, I
was having major heart problems.

On the day of the problem, I almost ignored the pain telling myself that I
was healthy and that the pain was  indigestion.  Even in the heart cath lab,
they wondered why I was in there because I was not the typical heart patient
with the typical heart problem profile.  Yet, I did have a major problem.
If the artery had become completely blocked, they said that it would have
killed me.  Fortunately, I didn't ignore the problem.

Now to the point.  DO NOT IGNORE ANY HEART SYMPTOMS.  Yes, it can happen to
you and it doesn't matter if you run 5 miles a day and only eat roots and
berries.  And yes, people do drop dead at young ages even though they seem
healthy.  When problems arise, don't assume that you are OK just because you
think that you are in good health.  Get it checked out.

FWIW

Ned Swift

Lowell, MI

Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups!  Get downloads, videos,
and more here.  http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx