Steinway V dampers

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:16:17 -0800

Review Bill Spurlocks vertical damper installation articles.
David I.

From: <Tvak@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Steinway V dampers

List

I will be replacing the dampers on a Steinway V.  I have found=
 that Schaff monochord and bichord damper wedges match the=
 existing old bass dampers, and in the upper treble, the damper=
 felts are on traditional damper heads, but in the center=
 register, the trichord dampers are unusual.  They are=
 constructed like bass damper wedges, with two flat pieces of=
 felt where the wedges would be.  In other words, mounted to the=
 damper head is a piece of thick red felt, attached to that is a=
 piece of wood, also felt covered on both sides, and then the two=
 flat damper felts are attached to the piece of wood, extending=
 past the damper head on both sides.  Just like the bass dampers,=
 only with flat felt.

Neither Schaff, nor Pianotech carry anything like this.  Any=
 suggestions?  I didn't try contacting Steinway directly...

Help?

Tom Sivak