Yamaha mystery noise

Mark Wisner mwisner@earthlink.net
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:16:06 -0800 (PST)

Sometimes a balance rail hole can make the sound you described.  I have eliminated it by smearing a a very small amount of Vaseline on the bottom of the key, at the balance rail hole.

Mark Wisner

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe And Penny Goss <imatunr@srvinet.com>
Sent: Nov 20, 2003 8:58 AM
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Yamaha mystery noise

Hi Dave,
Lift the damper up so that it is held firmly out of the way and strike the
note, No rattle it is in the damper assembly.
Do the same with all strings muted, no rattle, it is most likely  a
sympathic resonation. But if there is still a rattle  look more closely at
the action parts including springs. Try to devide and conquer. A mechanic's
stethoscope might be of help to isolate an area.
Just some wierd ideas<G>
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com