1876 Knabe grand with screw in dampers

Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:08:00 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: November 21, 2003 7:41 AM
  Subject: Re: 1876 Knabe grand with screw in dampers

  In a message dated 11/21/2003 6:50:01 AM Pacific Standard Time, =
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:
      ct: 1876 Knabe grand with screw in dampers

       List=20
        It must be my month for old relics.First an 1880 bechstein, 1870 =
9 ft steinway ugh.=20
        However I just took in this amazingly well preseved piano for =
some light rebuilding. ie. strings ,shanks hammers, dampers etc. The =
board and bridges in remarkably good condition with power & sustain. The =
down size is that it has the screw in damper wires & I must remove them =
to string & replace the felt. What does one do other than spending half =
a day unsrewing the bloomin thingees?
         Dale

    One takes one's wire cutters and one cuts the bloody things off. =
Then one makes a new tray and gets rid of the things.

    Del
       Thanks for the imense help.grin Hope I can reciprocate sometime

You're welcome. But I was serious. Think of the alternatives. You =
struggle getting the things out without bending the wires beyond =
recognition. Then you struggle to get the damper felts on straight. Then =
you struggle to get them back in the piano intact. Then you struggle to =
twist and turn until you get them all adjusted to height. And get the =
wires bent back so they will work. Kind of. Or, you can struggle to put =
them back in and roughly adjusted for height and then put the felt on. =
Either way...it ain't gonna be fun.=20

In about the same amount of time you can make and install a new tray. =
Including modifying the thing for capstans if you want to do what the =
manufacturer should have done decades back. In the end it is not much =
more expensive to give the customer a decent -- and serviceable -- =
more-or-less modern damper tray.

Perhaps I'm just getting overly curmudgeonly in my old age, but there =
are some things I no longer care to work on. And this is one of them. =
Life is way to short to put up with aggravations like that.

Del