1876 Knabe grand with screw in dampers

Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:26:24 -0600

At 08:12 11/21/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>"What does one do other than spending half a day unsrewing the bloomin
>thingees?
>    Dale"
>
>Dale,
>answer: spend an hour doing it. It shouldn't take very long. This type of
>damper has a pivoting head. Pivot vertical and screw away. Once they are
>out, take the back action out and install damper "barrels", ream the holes
>to standard and install the regualar way!
>Best Regards,
>
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>Captain, Tool Police
>Squares Are I

I've also noticed, at least with the 1888 Chickering we have here, that if
you move the upstop rail all the way up, you can pivot the head upside down
(i.e. - felt side up), the heads will clear each other, and while lifting
the lever with one hand, you can just spin them out with the other.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.