Duplex Overstrung Scale

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:31:10 -0500

Anyone ever hear of or see a Straube Duplex Overstrung Scale from 1930? =
Duplex overstrung as in plain wire angling off to the left as in most =
grands, but then tenor wound strings (tri-, bi-, and monocord) =
more-or-less perpendicular to the belly rail strung over the plain =
wires, and wound bass strings (all monocords) strung angling off to the =
right, like most modern grand pianos, over the tenor section. So the =
strings are arranged on three planes. Bizarre. Didn't measure the piano, =
but would be surprised if it were more than 4' 6" long. Sounded like a =
fairly crappy old worn-out spinet.

Something different though (at least for me). Owner wants me to =
refurbish the action, so I'll be going back to it in about a month if =
anyone is curious enough to want pictures (and yes, at two different =
times - once before removing the action and once after inspecting the =
action - I recommended to her to not spend a nickel on the piano and to =
replace it - the average $600 1983 Kimball console would be a dream come =
true compared to this Straube microgrand).

Terry Farrell