Steinway oddity

Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:16:35 -0000

Hello yet again Robin H
You said (inter alia) "     At the tail of the piano on the leftmost side of
the plate is both a patent
date - which is the normal decorative patent date one finds on the plate in
various locations, along with what are nearly advertisements.   It is
designed
to be read from the back of the piano - that is it is upside down if you
read it
from the front.  Immediately below this is a date stamped into the plate
thusly:  16.6/93.  This is a date, as is the patent date stamped close by.
Just
below this date about an inch away is the number 2 which I take to be the
scale
designation."
Yes - this is getting quite complex isn't it? It seems they use / and .
quite indiscriminately.
Phil Ford's is 29/3.79 (Nr.41136)
Yours is 16.6/93 (Nr. not given)
Barbara Richmonds is 7/8.D   3088   2 (Nr.165632)
Mine is 25.10   C   1887.  5    (Nr.164082) confirmed as built in Hamburg...
Priory School is  13.1.A   57   (Nr.161339)
Jack Wyatt is   29/8.96   (Nr.87748) has a round tail & 88 notes
Ann Stock's is   10  6  E    2189  (Nr.215889) which needs restringing...!
so we're making a pattern.... of sorts. I'll just keep adding to it and
maybe some sense will eventually prevail!
Regards from the ex-Bush side of the Pond - are we going to be State Nr. 51?
Michael G (UK)