Duplex Overstrung Scale

Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:24:52 -0000

Hello Terry=20
You said:"Anyone ever hear of or see a Straube Duplex Overstrung Scale =
from 1930? Duplex overstrung as in plain wire angling off to the left as =
in most grands, but then tenor wound strings (tri-, bi-, and monocord) =
more-or-less perpendicular to the belly rail strung over the plain =
wires, and wound bass strings (all monocords) strung angling off to the =
right, like most modern grand pianos, over the tenor section. So the =
strings are arranged on three planes. Bizarre. Didn't measure the piano, =
but would be surprised if it were more than 4' 6" long."
Sounds to me like what we call a "double over-strung grand". Fairly =
common here in UK (we have limited space <G>) Found in pianos by =
Broadwood and Ibach. The Ibach is particularly nice sounding - believe =
it or not!
Regards
Michael G (UK)