McLube 444 on Knuckles

DCrpt@comcast.net DCrpt@comcast.net
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:55:05 +0000

        I had an interesting experience last week involveing a 9ft. S'way and an artist who wanted a lighter touch.I take care of the C+A bank of 4 D's and 5 B's for Jordan Kitts Music in Washington DC.Recently an American University piano professor selected one of our D's for her recital.She loved the sound of it,which made me happy since I had put new hammers on it last year and worked on building up tone with lacquer.However she wanted me to lighten the touch.The piano wheighed out normally in a range close to 50 grams.The regulation was OK except I did increase the aftertouch by raiseing key height slightly.I decided to use McLube 444 (liquid) on the key bushings and whippen cushions to reduce friction,and while I was at it,what the hell put it on the knuckles.I had heard Ron Connors mention this at Dallas this summer.I usually use teflon powder on knuckles,but thought I would see how McLube worked.Well I reduced friction alright,a bit too much I am afraid.I found several "cheating" notes as I was tuning it before delivery.I moved the jacks on those notes further in so the tops of the jacks were closer the hammers.The next day I got a frantic call that the piano was broken.The performer was practiceing and was experiencing more repetition problems.I came out and spent an hour or so regulateing all the jacks to the knuckles.The concert was the following day and when I showed up for the final tuning there was a note that said she still had two keys that were cheating.I was concerned,as she was that the piano was not reliable for her concert.I found the notes that were cheating and found their jack to knucle position to be correct.So I moved all the knucles beyond the alignment point with the rosewood insert.I also wire brushed the knuckles to create a nap that would give friction.That worked well and I assured the artist the piano was fine.There were no more problems,and the piano has been performed on twice since then with no problems.So I would say if you are going to use McLube on hammer knuckles be prepared to do a good jack to knuckle regulation,because the lack of friction will create a greater chance for note failure.
      I think I might go back to useing teflon powder for knuckles...some friction is a good thing....no friction is a bad thing.  Robin Olson