1876 Knabe design

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:35:53 EST

List
  I've found several design features of this relic interesting. It ha s 23
bass notes on a violin type bridge with only 5 mono chords? The bridge is very
close to the rim but only on a very short apron, like   1" or so. It has 5
holes cut horizontally thru the bridge. It has only 5 double wrapped mono chords &
steel wrapped strings except the first three. Note 24 the first plain wire is
size 23 wire, I don't even think I own that size! This piano has agraffes
thru out. with the usual woody- ness in the top but not very bad. The board is
very well preserved & the sustain thru out is frankly better than most pianos I
encounter. Here's the deal. The grain angle is at a very sharp angle off the
belly rail 70 degrees & the ribs run at appox a 60 degree angle to the grain.
The piano has 13 ribs quite wide but not real tall. The highest Note 85  is 2
1/4" long & size 13&1/2 wire.
  It will be interesting to measure the string lengths/wire sizes & calculate
the scale tension to see what's what & also try to determine what kind of
pitch level this piano was designed for. It's very close to A-440 now.
  The Wessel,Nickel & gross action has a rocker type assembly has a short
sticker with the felted split & tightening screw that joins to the double screw
rocker. What were they thinking? It'll never be serviced? & yes the shank
cushions on the wippens are the W>N>&G> trademark blue felt.
   In spite of the oddities it appears that the action key ratios are in the
ball park & the touch is really quite good with original hammers that appear
to be of some normal weight range though of course on the light side. Renner
has a part that fits it exactly. No.(913002) I'll try to take a picture or two
so you who may be interested can see the interesting rim shape & bridge layout
of this piano.
  Ohh The laid up rim is Massive. A truly beautiful engineering marvel with
about 5 mortised to the case beams running for & aft bout ten inches tall
crossing one another & 2 giving tremendous support to the bellyrail in the treble
where we all agree it needs it in most modern pianos. Also has on e central
beam running side to side.
    Original flat felts for ALL the dampers. They don't work. Duh.
   I'll will be interested to hear this piano with fresh strings hammers &
action work even though a bit of a pain. Any one familiar with a beast like this.
  I wonder why they abandoned a soundboard concept that had obvious &
excellent sustain characteristics.
   Dale