Changing upright bridge location & affects

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:45:47 -0600

>Del rescaled a M&H 54" upright for me and we went from the cantilevered
>bass to a solid, directly-attached, bass bridge. However, the speaking
>lengths on note #1 only changed from 46.5" to 46.3" and from 38.7" to
>38.4" at note #26 (highest bass note).
>
> >> Did you think this change was a noticeable tonal improvement? It
> sounds as if the basic overall position of the bridge changed little but
> if there was a change on a scale of 1-10 how much. Totally subjective but
> go for it.

The repositioning of the bass bridge in this case likely had nearly nothing
to do with any tonal change by itself. Add a transition bridge, an entirely
new semi-log tenor bridge, a new string scale to match, and a vastly
different soundboard design, and I expect the cumulative tonal change is
more than noticeable.

I doubt any real problems with the dampers, though I haven't done enough of
this in grands to know anything different, and haven't done this at all on
a vertical yet. I'd expect  the damper placement to be like the damper
placement on any rebuild. You try to position them so they'll work
adequately, regardless of how they originally were.

Ron N