verdigris-Goof off

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:21:55 -0500

Message"...Knabe upright -1890's......on a piano such as this that does =
not support the investment of all new action parts..."

Why would such a piano not be worth new action parts? These uprights =
were among the best ever!

On second thought, tell her it is hopeless, but you know someone that =
would dispose of the piano for her.

Is this one a 3/4 plate with a bottom flange? What is the height - does =
it have stickers or capstans?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tom Driscoll=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 1:11 AM
  Subject: verdigris-Goof off

  Dear List,
      Somewhere on this list I believe was mentioned the use of =
"GOOF-OFF" solvent for treatment of verdigris in action centers.I have a =
clients Knabe upright -1890's that I've thrown the kitchen sink at to =
ease the sluggishness. This piano has the worst case of this gunk I've =
ever seen and on ALL the centers. protek, Goose juice ,Goose + ballistol =
. Nothing helped , not even short term .
      I remembered a posting about this Goof Off as a treatment and =
thought why not. This stuff is EVIL! Made with Xylene and Toulene Use in =
a very well ventilated area or better yet outside cause it is strong!=20
      I applied liberally ,working the parts applied again ,moving and =
juicing the centers and it did wash the crap out!The down side is that =
several centers are now too loose and need repining.
      I'll bet the condition will return, but on a piano such as this =
that does not support the investment of all new action parts I'm hoping =
for some reasonably long term success .=20
      Keep you posted.
    Tom,  Verdigris buster -Driscoll