Bridge Cap Material

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:42:07 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Page" <jonpage@comcast.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 24, 2003 5:46 AM
Subject: Bridge Cap Material

> Just wondering, are there objections to using a laminated cap (pin block
> stock) on a S&S O bass bridge.
> I use this material without second thoughts on upright bass bridges but
> where it is visible, I would like to
> hear whether I should stick to tradition and go with what cosmetically
> appeals. (I have a ten y/o Sauter
> vertical in the shop and all the bridges have laminated caps).
>
> Since the piano is not remaining in this area, I don't want to receive
bad
> reviews from the local tuner/s.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page, piano technician
> Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
> mailto:jonpage@comcast.net

We use Delignit bridge cap stock on all bridges. The only downside to this
material is the color of the glueline. Delignit uses resorcinol resin
adhesives which cures to a dark, brownish-red color. If we think this might
be an issue we have a chat with the piano owner first. If they wish we will
make up our own laminated bridge cap stock out of maple using another
adhesive. Either way, it's getting a laminated cap.

(Keep in mind this stuff is brutal to notch by hand. We use a machine.)

Del