Bad Rap

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:06:59 -0600

And it might not have even been Mr. So-and-So!  I've dealt with a few =
folks who besides being, um, a few sandwiches short of a picnic, have =
tried every tuner in town and get a little mixed up about who the last =
tuner really was.  In one case, the lady reported to me what the =
preceding technician said with the added bonus of describing his =
devilish grin and evil squinting eyes.  To tell the truth, everything he =
said about her piano was correct.  I realized that she was certifiable =
(maybe he didn't realize she was nuts) and handled the situation =
appropriately.  Sometimes, too, it's just a personality thing.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Farrell=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: November 24, 2003 5:33 AM
    Subject: Bad Rap

    Somehow, somewhere, this lady HAD to have gotten her story screwed =
up. No way did Mr. So-And-So do the nasty work that I saw. But if I =
didn't know this guy, I suppose I would have come away from that =
appointment with the opinion that Mr. So-And-So was a real sloppy, =
ignorant, rip-off artist, shmuck of a piano tooner.

    A first-hand report like this should be accurate, but I think also, =
this is how nasty, inaccurate, career-damaging rumors can start.

    Terry Farrell

  And there is at least a fair chance that you also will end up on her =
list. After all, there is really nothing wrong with her piano that a =
competent technician couldn't fix in fifteen minutes.

  So...Step Two involves calling Mr So & So and having a chat. He should =
at least be given the chance to contact the POS owner and straighten out =
the story. Just as you should hope the next technician to see the piano =
will give you a similar chance.

  Del