Insurance Appraisal

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:31:31 -0600

Hey Terry,

In the past, I've just called the Steinway dealer, who happened to be my =
former mentor and good buddy.  He gave me both figures, new and current =
condition (after I described them to him, of course.)  Besides doing =
this for my own piano, I was called upon to do the same by the =
vice-president for finance at the university I worked for.  That's when =
the financial administration took notice of the value of Steinways and =
how they hold there value (or appreciate).  The university ended up =
using the pianos as collateral on a loan!

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 9:13 AM
  Subject: Insurance Appraisal

  A customer of mine has asked me to do an appraisal of his 1950s =
Steinway M for insurance purposes. Piano is in good condition. I have =
not done this before. I would imagine he is looking for two, or one of =
two values: Replacement cost of a new piano, and/or replacement cost of =
a comparable piano (price being consistent with what a dealer might ask =
for a similar piano).

  Anyone able to offer any guidance?

  Terry Farrell