Impact tuning hammer.....wanted

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:37:24 -0000

Hello Capt. Joe!
Thanks for the invitation..." Michael, Join PTG and attend a few
Converences, you will see all sorts of things that never make it to a
catalog, (US spelling<G>)"
Yes I understand this - however as far as I know we don't have a PTG in the
good old UK - just an Association to which, I fear, I don't belong. Why?
Because (and I may be wrong here!) I cannot believe it would benefit me
personally. They send me "Join us" thingies every so often and from time to
time I get literature from them. But I'm too long in the tooth to join this
type of Association and they still want me to prove that I can tune a piano
before they allow me to enter their hallowed ranks. That's really what
rankles! I guess if Glyndebourne, the London Philharmonic Orchestra, The
Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, Simon Rattle, Bernard Heitink, Andrew
Davis etc. are happy with my rapid tunings then ....
OK I've had my "beef" Now let's get down to the serious stuff. I had an
excellent description of the workings of the "Impact Hammer" from Corte S.
and I pretty well understand the workings of it. It also seems to be a way
oif proving that... "Madam (or Sir!) your piano really does need
restringing. See! The pins just don't hold and here's the proof!" type of
scenario. I think I would rather do it the "old-fashioned" way after all! I
can think of no really difficult pianos where such a device would benefit
me - it would make it easier on some I'll readily admit - but changing to a
strange (must feel really strange!) method of turning the wrest-pins is not
for me. I am glad, though, that I asked about it and got a brilliant answer
from Corte. In fact I sent our "dialogue" to my Romanian friend so he could
see for himself the benefits of reading the list before joining it. That's
what it's all about! N'est-ce-pas? (thanks for that one Isaac!)
Kindest regards
Michael G (UK) where it's chucking it down with buckets still attached in
the grey Sussex Downlands this morning..... br.r.r.r.
(ps: it really should be.. "CATALOGUE!!" Oxford English Dictionary<G>)