hammers and wool

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:47:05 +0100

On 26-nov-03, at 12:01, Michael Gamble wrote:

> Hello Richard
> You said: "Or should I ask... do we or do we not really know the
> answer to
> these
> and other exciting questions at all ?"
> This sounds like a further need for expensive R&D! Hey ho! Who does R&D
> anyway - or do we do it by ear? (like tuning!)<G>
> Regards
> Michael G (UK)

Hello Michael and list.
As I have mentioned before here, there are several ways to Rome :
One is 'an' American way. Many American techs like their hammers soft
from the beginning so that they can slowly build up hardness by adding
hammer dope. As you probably know hammer dope can be colodion, lacquer,
or combinations of chemicals and plastic.
Then there is the European way : hammers have hardness and tension as
they leave the hammer maker and the technician lessens the tension by
needling.
What Richard questions here is : is it necessary to use the natural
fibers in the wool (the hammer felt) or do we not use the elasticity of
the felt but instead use the hardening  characteristics of hammer dope?

(Whaddaya Ricardo?)

(warning...flame suits on)

friendly greetings from
antares