Glues/Richard

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:55:06 -0800

Richard said: "I do not have a glue pot, but wanted to try hot hide glue
after reading an
article in the journal where a fellow had devised a way to make and keep
small quantities of the stuff. He used Gerber baby food jars and an electric
coffee cup warmer. I tried it and it was a disaster. The glue kept crusting
on top. Maybe I wasn't mixing it correct. I still have the hide glue to try
again. Can anyone tell me the right way to mix the stuff? Thanks

Richard

Richard,
If you are using the baby food jar system, you need to have it in a much
larger "pot" that has water in it. The water does two things: 1.It helps the
temperature stay constant 2. It keeps the crust from forming by way of the
steam that comes off of the heating process.
A trick I use, with my two SMALL glue pots, is a spray bottle, that I use to
"spritz" the glue. This is done about every two or three hammers and can be
done quickly without the mess of my usual Distilled water bottles, (read
plastic glue application bottles obtained from local hardware stores.) One
thing I can't stress enough.....USE DISTILLED WATER ONLY! Using tap water is
too much of a variable that adds chemicals and contaminates that alter the
glue's structure.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police