C.Lose Square Piano

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:18:18 +0100

Hi Joe

As far as the reasoning for the ribs... take a gander at this picture with the
shape of the bridge roughly drawn in. Seems to me they were maybe thinking that
this ribbing pattern would support the bridge area against downbearing. One rib
traces the bridge almost dead underneath for most of the bass lower treble. The
two longest ribs run on either side, and along with the cross rib they perhaps
were meant to hold the whole area up.

[Image]
Joseph Garrett wrote:

> RicB queried: "Ok... so ... would you hazard a suggestion at a crowning
> radius for the ribs,
> number of ribs to use, thickness,  and a basic pattern ? "

> Ric,
> I'll defer to Del on that one. My take would be about 1/3 to 1/2 of what is
> used on "modern" boards. However, the basic shape, etc. of Square boards,
> may dictate something else. Hmmmm? I'll ponder that for a bit.
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

I'd sort of imagined perhaps something along these lines.... with a bit taller
rib,( or at least less tapered heightwise) and perhaps a bit thinner.  I could
just copy the old ribbing pattern with a bit stronger ribs, machine crowned I
suppose, but I cant help feeling this is an oportunity to learn some new
things, improve on the load bearing ability of the origional design, and
hopefully keeping in the ball park relative to the origional sound picture this
thing was meant to have.

[Image]

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.

--------------6913DE58BDD883527605BB66
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--------------6913DE58BDD883527605BB66
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmailFH.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 41257 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------6913DE58BDD883527605BB66
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmail60.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 43057 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------6913DE58BDD883527605BB66--