Dummy Damper/Keith

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:40:03 -0600

At 9:37 PM -0800 11/29/03, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>... why have I seen "dummy dampers" on pianos that were manufactured before
>spinet pianos and split rods were invented?????????<G>
>Answer: it was a way of assuring that any foible/manifestation/screw-up,
>etc., would not be a problem, in regards to the factory set-up of dampers!

Good Morning, Joe,

As I understand the answer to your own question, you're saying that
the level of competence in the piano action manufacturing industry
might have been sub-standard at times, thereby causing someone with
some intelligence to cover their bases by having these type levers
installed in every action. Yes/No?

If so, this is the second reference in this thread you have made
concerning the lack of understanding concerning piano action
manufacturer's capabilities. The first being,
"The points you make are valid, EXCEPT, you are assuming, (there's that
stupid word again.), that actions are correctly designed, which most are
not. " Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:29:18 -0800

Now *if* this were the case in some of yester-year's pianos *as you
are stating*,  that could easily result in the prevailing theory in
several persons' minds of the lever's primary purpose. And, if in
fact, this did occur for the reasons *you have stated*, then
certainly its primary purpose would have been that, but only to cover
up potential discrepancies. Such conditions fall outside the scope of
what I am saying.

I maintain, "In a properly designed and adjusted damper system, there
is no need for a auxiliary damper to be installed to keep a single
lift rod away from the damper levers. None whatsoever." And I will
add, "regardless of what year it was manufactured."

There is no fudge room here in my position. It is what it is.

Keith

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731