Steinway M

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:11:04 -0400

List,

            I have a client seeking my opinion concerning purchase of a
5 year old Steinway M at a university sale @$39,000. I have not seen
this particular piano but have reservations about the tonal production
of the M. Those designers among us have commented on scaling flaws and
of course the compression crowned soundboards, but my question is what
specifically are the areas of design where the shortcomings exist.

            I felt like I was raining on a parade with my comments about
the M, and I'd like to be more specific. I've encouraged my client
toward a models L or B but budget may not allow them to consider those
models.

            Thanks for your input.

            Tom DriscollRPT