compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:37:29 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >   >>  This is true. For those who don't hear anything wrong, there's no need
> >for
> >   >> a fix and no way to discuss the possibility that one might be in order.
> >   >>
> >   >> This strikes me as the bottom line.
> >"
> >--
> >Richard Brekne
>
> Ok, I get it. Does this mean that you have never heard a killer octave you
> tried to fix because you or your customer thought it wasn't right?
>
> Ron N

No. It means that some people like the sound that others dont... killer octaves
included. And that there useage of the word "wrong" in the above quote is not
quite appropriate...  and even tho I liked

     "No, just that your interpretation of what you hear doesn't allow the
possibility of soundboard problems."

It still apparently assumes a problem exists whether the listener inteprets it
such or not.

When you line all this up with the hundreds of old pianos all over the world, both
rib crowned and compression crowned, that still offer no less musicality then to
please thousands upon thousands of musicians... well... it gets hard to see the
significance of the compressionist argumentation.  I mean... if it was as bad as
its made to seem here from time to time... then we'd find only decent rib crowned
instruments surviving... and musicians would choose fewer to buy cc instruments...
certainly fewer then the 95 % market share Steinway has represents.

Either the problem is overstated, or in error... or to some degree both. That
conclusion is inescapable. At least for anyone who has their feet on the ground
and eyes open to the world around them.

Sorry if that doesnt sit well with you. But just so.

RicB
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.