Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 02:36:22 +0200

Hi Ron

Thanks for taking the time to write such a complete contribution to this
thread.  Just one clarification below if you would be so kind.

Overs Pianos wrote:

>> Stéphane Collin wrote:
>>
>>> Do I see right, in the picture, that the note at the left side of
>>> the srut seems to have a shorter speaking length than the note at
>>> the right (or am I fooled by the persepctive of the pic) ?  And that
>>> at the right of the strut, choirs have three same speaking length,
>>> while at the left the three speaking length per choir are different
>>> (as Dale pointed out) ?
>>
>>> Makes me think (like the limited range of front duplex) that they
>>> didn't like monotonous uniformity of sound all over the scale, back
>>> then.
>>
>> I think the picture is fooling you on that point.
>

> It isn't Richard, Stéphane's observation is correct about the rotation.

I thought perhaps Stéphane's wondering about the speaking length being a
bit shorter on the note just on left side of the strut then that of the
note just on the right was probably due to the picture and not really
the case.  Are you saying that his observation on that point was correct
then, or are you refering to the bit about the rotation of the bridge
pin groups in the lower of these two sections ?

I cant really see why  they would make the speaking length longer on the
right side of the strut tho. There's plenty of room to bring the bridge
pin group forward.  I cropped the picture down a bit here so you could
more easily see that the picture is taken at a slight angle . On the
right you can just see the top of the capo bar whereas the first note on
the left side of the strut isnt quite clear of the damperhead.

Thanks again,

RicB

> He may also be right about the maker trying to create noise. The
> manufacturer is unlikely to provide an explanation, since openness is
> not part of their policy. Go back the image and have a look at the
> notches adjacent to the plate strut between the top two string
> sections. Clearly the notches on the treble side have been aligned
> square to the nominal speaking length of the trichord group, whereas
> those on the bass side of the strut have their bridge pin groups
> rotated clockwise. This was quite common on Steinways of the period.
> They don't do it today, so clearly they have changed their mind about
> its perceived merit.
>
>>  Tho when I go back in October I can take a few more shots to give a
>> better view.  You are right about the top section unisions all having
>> the same length and the left side having different tho.  Well, like I
>> said at the outset... you fellows that are actually building these
>> things have probably seen this all many times before... it just
>> struck me as something I hadnt noticed, and so I thought I'd ask
>> about it.
>

>> Cheers
>> RicB

--------------080409020904000106040209