Tuning Tests at the Yamah Academy

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 03:49:21 +0200

Hi Folks

I thought some of you might be interested in hearing a bit about how the
Yamaha academy evaluates tunings, and what their tuning parameters are.

To begin with, tho they do measure tunings with the PT100, tunings are
primarily judged by ear. When you are finished with your tuning then you
team up with another student to do a quick measurement of the tuning
with a PT100. This is a bit of a weak point in their whole process
really as there is no assurance that the students really have any
experience with any tuning machines. Many simply didnt know how to deal
with difficult to read bass or high treble notes.  It didnt seem to be a
big item for concern either as the point of measurements was evidently
more for a rough reference of your tuning trends then anything else.
That said... on the final examination the measurements are taken by the
instructors.

After you were done recording the tunings, the instructors would come
in, each with one portion of the piano to assess.  The temperament was
assessed with the temperament strip inserted, and consisted of the notes
F3-E4.  4ths and 5ths were what they were listening for, and you had to
be dead on with these to get a good score. 3rds were only slightly used
as a side reference. They didnt spend any time listening for
progressively faster beating 3rds.  Just 4ths and 5ths... and boy were
they picky about those.

The bass was assessed by another instructor and consisted of all notes
left of the bass/tenor strut. No stretch here at all... in fact even in
the lowest octave you had to have very clean 4:2 octave types.  You
needed to balance the 6:3 and the 4:2 types  but both were required to
be as pure as possible. I was told that the same requirement is held for
even 9 foot instruments, and they maintained that doing so would not
compromise higher order types unacceptably in any sense of the word.
Unisons were checked in similar fashion. The lower order partials
coincidents simply had to be pure... regardless of what was going on
with the higher partials.

The middle section was then checked for octaves and unisons much the
same... 6:3, 4:2, had to be pure as could be.... and 2:1's had to be
really tight... non of this beat per second compromising to get a big
stretch. Nope... just narrow 6:3's, clean 4:2's and just wide 2:1s----
leading to  very tight tuning requirements in the high treble.

The top two sections were checked also by ear and this area  was the
most difficult to satisfy the instructors... at least for me.  The
instructor listened to 8:1, 4:1, and 2:1 octave relationships and  3:1
and 6:1 fifth relationships. He was looking for a very even and
graduated increase in beat rates as each became more relevant.  He would
play chromatically 8:1s and listen for when the beat rates started
becoming noticeably fast... no hops or jumps... faster then slower... ..
then the same for 6:1s, then 4:1s then 3:1s then 2:1s.  C8 ended up
being in the neighborhood of a 28 cents stretch... no more... even tho
the template for the graph had it at 35.  Interestingly.. if you held
onto perfect 12ths  for your first pass you could very easily refine
your tuning to meet these criteria on the second pass... and really...
except for the last 6-7 notes... 12ths were pure or nearly so the whole
way... becoming noticeably narrow for those highest notes.

It took me a few days to sort out exactly what they wanted from me...
but once I understood how little stretch they wanted I managed nicely.
They seemed to have heard about Cyber Tuner.... but didnt know anything
about the SAT, Tunelab, or Verituner.  No machines were allowed for
tuning btw.

Each tuning required a 2 cents pitch raise... and to score high you
needed every bit of the 2 hours you have to do the tuning in.

You are then scored for temperament, bass, middle, treble and graph.
Top score for each was 20, except for graph which had a top score of
15.  Getting an 18 on any section was very rare... a couple three or
four students in the course of a year get a few 18's I was told.  For GP
course a total of 80 would get you an A, and for Master and Concert
courses you needed 85.  Most of the GP and Masters students were hard
put to get above 80... and I was told this was the norm. Students
invited to take the Concert level are expected ahead of time to be able
to push past the 85 mark most of the time.

That was just the tuning... the rest of the story I'll save for another
post.

Cheers
RicB