Olde Style Hammer Coverings, (leather)

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 12:08:56 -0700

RicB said: "I'm looking  for a line on some of that old style of hammer =
covering=20
used often on squares prior to the late 1800's.  Its a very light=20
colored, sometimes even whitish, soft suedish leather like stuff... tho=20
I am not exactly sure thats what it is.

If anyone knows where I can order this, preferably in Europe but all=20
contacts are welcome, please let me know."

Cheers
RicB

Ric,
I've been told that it is/was European Doe Skin, (as opposed to Buck =
Skin). The color and texture was due to age old tanning process. (this =
process involves Urine, etc., much the same as the process used by the =
Eskimoes.) Possibly a google search will uncover some. I have a friend =
who makes custom knives and is involved in "mountain man" type =
functions. He has made several knife sheaths with a "buckskin" very =
similar to what we wish our Buckskin was like! It is usually made in =
very small quantities, by "purest" types. They have many newsletters, =
but, of late, are advertising via the internet. Worth a shot.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I