Advice on softening rock-hard hammers, please.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 16:09:06 EDT

In a message dated 8/1/2004 12:47:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lclgcnp@yahoo.com writes:

Dear  list,
I am about to attempt softening  some
metallic-sounding hammers on a "rebuilt" Chickering
1908 grand in a  church. Much talk here recently has
been on squeezing with pliers, which I  would like to
try, but not much specific information has been
provided  on where, and how, this should be done. {
Please help me with this  information. )
I would also appreciate some opinions  and
guidelines regarding the "hammer softening" liquid
which Pianotech  sells.
Your advice would be gratefully  appreciated,

Sincerely,
Gordon

    How about alcohol & 5% water. Soak one & see  what happens. If more is
needed......
   Just a thought.
  Dale