Hammer softener mixture

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:25:00 -0500

Hammer softener:

One thing you might try is take a plastic squeeze bottle and mark it off for
8 equal sections with a felt tip pen.  Pour it to the lowest mark with Downy
"Regular Strength" fabric softener.  Then fill the bottle to the top with
Isopropyl Alcohol 90% mix.  This is special rubbing alcohol that is stronger
than normal but found in the Walgreen's near you.  Other brands of fabric
softener makes globs in the bottom, Downy dissolves.  This is 1 part to 7
parts softener to Alcohol.  I suspect you could also use methanol.

I thoroughly saturate the hammers all around but not enough to drip.  I use
about quarter to half a bottle on a set of hammers.  I then leave them to
dry overnight.  The hammers also smell SOOOO nice, too.

If the hammers are hard because someone lacquered them this won't help that
much.  If someone used acetone and plastic keytop on them you're out of luck
again.  If these are just old hard hammers it will work wonders.  Of course
shaping should be done first.  You actually can over soften them.  But they
will harden up again before long while the customer saves up for new
hammers.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com