Sick Steck

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:15:10 -0400

At 7:44 PM -0500 8/2/04, Michael Spalding wrote:
>Of course I'm going to replace the key end felt, but I was looking for a
>way to increase the overlap, so as to make the new stuff wear longer/better
>than the original.

That's the engineer at work!

>Given the wirebending issue, I will look at extending
>the keys, or at least letting the felt hang off the back of the key a
>little bit, along with checking and improving the angular relation of keys
>to underlevers (magic line and all that), which may have more to do with
>the felt wear than the amount of overlap.

I like the overhang idea. It doesn't require grafting a wooden ledge
on the key end. (All 67 of them) 1/8" would hardly be noticeable. If
what you need is 1/4", that would not be perilous either. The sliding
motion between the two levers on the way up (the stressed direction)
would tend to push the overhang back onto the key.

I'm assuming you explored this possibility with the stack off and the
keyboard in place (with maybe even all keysticks removed except for
section ends. That's what you'd be doing to check out the MJ.

Everyone needs a few DAMHIKs in their life ;-)