Keytops

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:25:29 +0200

I have had a Bechstein concert grand from 1928 with one piece ivory.
Twice I have seen some incredible imitation in cellulo=EFd that were so =
good that they fooled the merchant selling them as ivory.
My trick to recognize ivory, along with the fingerprints of random =
shape, is to bite in it.  If you bite in ivory, you get the unique tooth =
on tooth contact feel and noise, like when you bite on your own teeth.  =
If you bite in cellulo=EFd (no need to start a fire) you get the feel of =
something much softer.  I never tried to bite in plastic, as I recognize =
it easier.
I covered once a keyboard with ivorite, which is as easy to shape as =
ivory, but when played with slightly damp fingers (as happens) has a =
less firm contact than ivory.

St=E9phane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Matthew Todd=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 5:12 AM
  Subject: Keytops

  Is it true in EVERY circumstance that all ivory keytops have two parts =
(head and tail), and plastic tops come in one piece.  Or are there other =
ways to tell the difference?

  Someone on the list told me that I can never ask a stupid question, so =
I guess this is a test.  I am just starting out, but thanks!

  Matthew