Bechstein: Gloria Frazier

Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:14:34 -0700

Here's the situation:

Belly bracing joints are coming apart and need to be reglued and doweled.
Some separation of the soundboard panel from the ribs.
A few cracks in the board.
Pin block (beech) has been shimmed and partially plugged.  Small crack in bass section.  Needs plugging or replacing, I think, as oversized pins don't tend to do to well in beech blocks.
Delamination of the bass bridge cap along about half its length.  Some delamination in the upper treble bridgecap as well.
Minimal but positive bearing, little or no crown in the panel.
Don't know how it sounded as I never heard it before.
Customer wants it functional for least cost.
She has had Christopher Ris, Frank Bettinger, John Callahan, me and you for opinions.

I think it needs a new board, new and reinforced belly bracing, new pinblock.  One could probably get by with less with no guarantees and lots of disclaimers (remember those plates can be pretty fragile).  The senior Ostrovsky doesn't think it needs a new board but he may be from a tradition that doesn't replace soundboards ever.

What do you think?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net