Rescaling questions

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 22:26:16 -0700

David Renaud said: "to calculate rescaling.
Never done this before.

What is prefered range of tension and % of breaking=20
point at various points along the scale?
.....this is not for the bass strings.

Old grand or upright piano(both)
160lbs average??
 If Inhar. goes up by increasing tension with larger
wire is this bad.....or is inhar good at some point?
How much inhar. is too much?"

David,
Inharmonicity works in relation to tension. If the tension goes up, so =
does Inharmonicity. I was told, by my mentor, "do not exceed 60% of the =
breaking strength." Many times this is not possible to follow, but it's =
a good rule of thumb. I would suggest you consider using a =
"loudness/impedance" formula, as well. The combination of all, in, =
hopefully, linear graphs, will give you what you desire. When running a =
scale, I try to percieve what the intent of the piano =
designer/manufacturer was. Most of the time this is apparent, but many =
pianos were "copy-cat" types and the "copy" got lost in the translation! =
Doing lots of scales & putting them into practice, (ie rebuilds on your =
stuff<G>), is a big help in coming to the conclusions that will work for =
you and the pianos you are re-whatevering.
Or.....you can send the scale to someone like me or Del or Ron =
or...????? and let them figure it out.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I