DamppChaser confession

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:41:16 -0600

Hi Jason,
YHMSHHS
Yes it can be hard to get the customer to maintain the unit. But the =
rewards are great when they do esp. in the north west in your area.
The reason that I think that my customers sometimes fail to service the =
units is that the change is so gradual from sounding great to not so =
good when they turn the unit off for some occasion. It is sort of like =
the frog story and boiling water.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: jason kanter=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 9:20 AM
  Subject: DamppChaser confession

  List,
  I hereby confess that I have never installed a Dampp-Chaser, never =
suggested installing one, never saw one that was working -- though I =
have seen several pianos with neglected systems, buckets dried out, =
frayed wiring with baked insulation, bent aluminum and pushpins, or =
tubes that felt too hot -- and I have in general maintained a distaste =
for these additions.

  Mostly this is ignorance. I was never exposed to this technology in my =
apprentice years (early 70s) -- SHeldon Smith never installed one during =
my year with him -- and I have also never heard a presentation about =
DamppChasers, nor read any of their literature.

  (Ignorance is when you ignore something. Stupidity is when you are in =
a stupor.)

  I see lots of talk on this list that implies that DamppChasers are =
integral to your way of life, most of you. They can also be a profitable =
element of the business. Could you tell me about this? And are they high =
maintenance? And do they get neglected? Do you have to chide the piano =
owner to take better care of the humidifier, for example? And don't the =
wires just get in the way? And are they pretty much a given improvement =
up here in the Pacific Northwest?

  Thanks in advance. May the dialog be healthy.

  jason kanter . piano tuning/regulation/repair
  bellevue, wa . 425 562 4127 . cell 425 831 1561
  orcas island . 360 376 2799
  [see historic temperaments at www.rollingball.com]