Exam-Strength Test Blows

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 23:07:10 -0400

Probably someone else can describe it better, but at Nashville they had =
such a device for anyone to try their tuning stability against.  It =
appeared to be two PVC tubes about a foot long, one nested inside the =
other like a telescope.  The outer tube had a notch cut in its bottom =
(horizontally) the width of a key, so it could straddle the key being =
tested (I believe it always tested a sharp).

The outer tube was pressed down so that the neighboring naturals were =
fully depressed.  The weight was attached to the inner tube, lifted to =
the right height, and then dropped.

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jack Houweling=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 10:40 PM
  Subject: Exam-Strength Test Blows

  Hello =20

  The tuning exam pre-screening manual talks about test blows by =
dropping an 8 ounce weight from six inches three times.=20
  I heard that there is a device for  measuring this. Is there anything =
about this in the journals or does  anyone have a photo they can share I =
would like to make one. =20

  Thanks,
  Jack Houweling