Sneaky Steinway

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:21:04 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0061_01C47CB3.AE6FF6E0
>>IF that is a Steinway, it's a Hamburg. The clue is the Capo bars in =
the Bass/Tenor/Treble areas. Either that or I haven't been paying =
attention to my Steinways, lately.<G> I'm saying it ain't a Steinway.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. >>

It is a Steinway. This one has the third bridge. What amazes me is that =
the speaking length of the first wound string in the tenor, C sharp 29, =
is about 13 inches shorter than its neighbouring plain string. The bass =
break starts at note E20.=20

 As you can now see the capo bar is only in the treble. The tenor and =
bass has the agraffes which made the piano an absolute pig to tune. The =
strings kept jumping back into the kink created by the agraffes.

If anyone knows the model designation please tell me. The serial # is =
90964.  (1899)

The soundboard is plastered in decals dedicated to kings and queens, =
emperors and many other a%"&*%*# 's governing Europe at the time, so it =
is definitely a Hamburg.

Regards
Alan Forsyth

PS.  Something I learned yesterday; before moving a grand piano, clean =
it out so all the debris inside doesn't slide down to the bass end when =
the piano is tilted on it's side. There was an old coin in this one that =
lodged itself under the back of the bass keys preventing the hammers =
from falling below the level of the pinblock and consequently making it =
difficult to extricate the action. =

------=_NextPart_001_0061_01C47CB3.AE6FF6E0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_001_0061_01C47CB3.AE6FF6E0--