Ibach Capstan

Jerry Cohen emailforjc@yahoo.com
Sat, 07 Aug 2004 21:02:33 -0400

Terry,

I tuned an 1893 Knabe grand (around 7') which sounds like the same
arrangement. I didn't do any regulating, and didn't have much time to study
the action.

Best regards,

Jerry Cohen

NJ Chapter

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 7:31 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Ibach Capstan

I saw an interesting capstan arrangement on a 1905 Ibach concert grand the
other day. I wish I had my digital camera with me......

The key has a stick protruding from the top at the capstan location that is
connected to the key with an action center (pin, bushings, etc). The stick
is just a half-inch or so long. A capstan with threaded rod protruding from
both the bottom and top are screwed into the stick on the bottom and the
wippen heel on the top. If you turn the capstan clockwise, it screws into
both the wippen heel and the stick, thus bringing the heel closer to the key
- turn it counterclockwise and the opposite happens.

Looks like a really neat system where you would get no friction loss at the
capstan/wippen heel interface. I wonder how much fun it is to remove the
stack?

Anyone see this configuration before? Comments?

Terry Farrell