Baldwin Hamilton loose side panel

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 06:56:47 -0400

FWIW, IMHO, I would give the owners two options.=20

The cheap option which would be to try and squirt some glue in there =
without tearing the whole piano apart.=20

But I would also give them a second option which would entail removing =
the side, cleaning and properly prepping the two surfaces and then =
gluing the side back on. Obviously, the second option would be quite a =
bit more expensive, but they also have a $5,000 (or so) piano. If it =
were my piano, I think I would rather spend the $$ and do it right. If =
the two glue surfaces are not prepped properly I would always be =
concerned about the integrity of the bond.

It's really not all that difficult to remove a side and glue it back on.

If this were a 1953 Wurly spinet I would not hesitate to squirt and =
clamp, but I think the full repair might be more appropriate on a 4 year =
old good quality studio piano.

Terry Farrell
    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Jerry Cohen=20
    To: 'Pianotech'=20
    Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 6:57 PM
    Subject: Baldwin Hamilton loose side panel

    Recently I was asked to evaluate the cause of buzzing on several =
notes in the middle (around middle C) on a 4 year old Baldwin Hamilton =
vertical 243HPA.  I found the right side panel was loose. It looks like =
no or almost no glue was used, and only screws were holding it in place. =
When pushing outward on the panel, the buzzing would completely stop. =
The left panel is very secure and you can see glue across the top and =
from top to bottom at the back where it is glued to the back frame on =
that panel.

    I called Thomas Malone at the Baldwin factory, and he confirmed that =
sometimes workers goof, and apply very little or no glue to the side =
panels.  Since this is a pre-Gibson piano, there is no warranty.

    My question is, what is the best way to make this repair? The side =
panel is attached, but I can separate it slightly from the back frame =
everywhere from top to bottom at the back. In order to get glue in, I =
think it would be best to tilt the piano forward and rest it on the =
keybed. Can the keybed support this weight? Also, what is the best glue =
to use now? Should I use epoxy, or is yellow glue ok?  I was planning on =
using long pipe clamps the full width of the piano. Getting the glue in =
is my biggest concern.

    Has anyone seen this problem?  Appreciate any help.

    Thanks.

    Jerry Cohen

    NJ chapter