I need advice

Marcel Carey mcpiano@videotron.ca
Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:36:41 -0400

Some questions:

What was used to put out the fire?
	If water was used, that created a lot of steam in the house. This
could have voiced down the piano and weakened the structural joints
(soundboard, rim etc.). The damage could become feelable only after
the piano goes through the dry cycle (next winter depending on where
you live).

The other problem is the smell. Soot usually sticks to the felts.

So, you are looking at a complete rebuilding if you want the piano to
be at it's best for resale.

There are products to clean fire damaged surfaces (unsoot, unsmoke).
Do a google search for fire & smoke. You will find a lot of
information.

Make sure you don't offer too much for the piano just to be on the
safe side.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC