I need advice

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:06:53 -0400

Greg,

In most cases like this, you want to be VERY careful with your
appraisal and any repairs you make.  Every case can be different but
there are factors that can create serious problems for the piano down
the road.

Usually one of the worst problems can be steam.  If the fire was
suppressed with water, the acidic steam can cause a lot of trouble.
Exposed steel begins to rust, glue joints are compromised, and of
course the wood and felt in the action can absorb the damp and go hay
wire.

I did a little research on this a couple of years ago when I had to
asses a piano for a customer.  I would be happy to dig that up and
send you anything I can find.

I really recommend that you be very thorough with your appraisal
though.  Regardless of whether you do repairs or buy the piano, you
want be sure of what you say or do with the piano.  There are some
very good sights on the net concerning this and many companies that
specialize in fire damage repair.

Good Luck,
Chris
--