Keytops (please respond)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:38:24 -0500

>Hey Joe,
>
>I was told that the reason you don't need to clamp when using PVC-E is
>that as it cures it contracts, basically self-clamping.  Subsequently it
>is great for keytops and felt.  When I install keytops with PVC-E, I
>squeeze the key briefly in a padded vice to ensure that the keytop is on
>the stick good and to remove any extra glue. After that you can "Set it
>and forget it." Works great!
>
>R.Cromwell

I have yet to see a keytop (with front) that will lay flat enough and
remain tight enough against the key front to be installed with PVCE without
being at least lightly clamped. I've tried, and it doesn't work for me
without something holding the keytop in place. I use masking tape across
the front and over the top, front and rear. By the time I've taped on the
last keytop, the tape can be safely removed from the first.

Ron N